Monitor Azure Application Insight Data Ingestion

Viewed 1259

I'm using Azure Application Insights to collect logs & custom metrics. I'm billed on amount of data ingested. Thus, I want to monitor that value.

Ideally i should be able:

  1. See data ingestion statistics for the entire data retention period (90 days);
  2. See how much data was ingested today (some delay is okay).

The closest thing i was able to find was a "Data volume trends" chart under "Usage and estimated costs" in the AI resource.

But:

  1. That is very rough view (small chart, no way to filter/drill in);
  2. It only shows last 30 days;
  3. I have no idea how old "today" value is.

Googling around did not yield any useful results. Does anybody have an idea if what i need here is even possible?

2 Answers

You can use Metrics explorer to chart this information. Select "Metrics" and then fill in the below info:

  • For "Metric Namespace", select "Log-based metrics"
  • For "Metric", select "Data point volume"
  • Click "Apply splitting" and select "Telemetry item type"

You can also change the chart to a Bar chart for better readability of this data.

So, as @JoyA pointed out here, we need to use "Data point volume" metric to collect this kind of data.

As for part 2 of my question (ability to show last 90 days), I found out that by default "Metric chart" on dashboards only allows you to have "Last 30 days". So, the trick is:

  1. Create a chart for last 30 days
  2. Download your dashboard definition. That will give you a .json file
  3. Find "relative": "43200m" value and replace it with "129600m".
  4. Save, upload.
  5. Voila, you have a chart for last 90 days.
Related