How to use Dask on Databricks

Viewed 3289

I want to use Dask on Databricks. It should be possible (I cannot see why not). If I import it, one of two things happens, either I get an ImportError but when I install distributed to solve this DataBricks just says Cancelled without throwing any errors.

2 Answers

Anyone looking for an answer, check this medium blogpost. To prevent people from missing this in comments, I'm posting this as an answer.

I don't think we have heard of anyone using Dask under databricks, but so long as it's just python, it may well be possible.

The default scheduler for Dask is threads, and this is the most likely thing to work. In this case you don't even need to install distributed.

For the Cancelled error, it sounds like you are using distributed, and, at a guess, the system is not allowing you to start extra processes (you could test this with the subprocess module). To work around, you could do

client = dask.distributed.Client(processes=False)

Of course, if it is indeed the processes that you need, this would not be great. Also, I have no idea how you might expose the dashboard's port.

Related