I am creating a small text editor with JavaFX.
For this purpose I use TextArea and ComboBox'es to dynamically style it: e.g. changing the font, it's size, making it bold, italic and so on. It kind of works, however there is a disturbing visual bug that I can't put up with.
I tried to narrow the problem and here is a simpler code that has the same behavior and a couple of pics to understand what I'm talking about:
(to reproduce the bug set the size to 70 then choose bold and you will see how the text steps away from the edge.)
public class Main extends Application {
public void start(Stage stage) {
textArea = new TextArea("TEST 112123");
textArea.setPrefWidth(800);
textArea.setPrefHeight(400);
textArea.setLayoutY(40);
CheckBox bold = new CheckBox("BOLD");
bold.setLayoutX(20);
bold.setOnAction(e -> {
Font currentFont = textArea.getFont();
if (bold.isSelected()) {
textArea.setFont(
new Font("System Bold", currentFont.getSize()));
//I set new Font each time to save all of it's past properties and
//change only one of them, this is the only way that I found to do
//this as there are no setters in the Font class, only constructors
} else {
textArea.setFont(
new Font("System", currentFont.getSize()));
}
});
ComboBox sizeBox = new ComboBox();
//I removed the list of options and the input validity check
sizeBox.setLayoutX(80);
sizeBox.setEditable(true);
sizeBox.setOnAction(e -> {
textArea.setFont(new Font(textArea.getFont().getName(),
Double.valueOf((String)sizeBox.getValue())));
});
stage.setScene(new Scene(new Group(textArea, bold, sizeBox), 800, 500));
stage.show();
}
}
images: https://imgur.com/a/Cg53nAL