I tried to use .DELETE_ON_ERROR target in makefile in order to delete both $(OBJ)
and executable files if the recipe fails, but it doesn't work. If I put an error inside any object file than while compiling the pattern rule an error occurs and it stops. The old object file is still on its place but I expect .DELETE_ON_ERROR to remove it.
Can anyone test the code? Can -include $(DEP) or flag -DDBG influence? The goal is to delete both the .o file that failed and the executable.
OUTPUT = executable
CPP := $(shell find $(SRC) -type f -name "*.cpp")
OBJ := $(CPP:.cpp=.o)
DEP := $(OBJ:.o=.d)
CXX := g++
CXXFLAGS =-MMD -MP -DDBG
INCLUDES = -I.
.DELETE_ON_ERROR :
$(OUTPUT): $(OBJ)
$(CXX) $^ -o $@
%.o: %.cpp
$(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) $(INCLUDES) -c $< -o $@
-include $(DEP)
.PHONY : clean
clean:
rm -rf $(OBJ) $(DEP)
EDIT: According to the Ondrej K. solution to fix this problem you need to add @touch command before compilator in order to make the object files changed (the docs read "delete the target of a rule if it has changed".). So, the code should look like this:
%.o: %.cpp
@touch $@
$(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) $(INCLUDES) -c $< -o $@