Vulkan on Android with Visual Studio

Viewed 1123

There is a Vulkan Graphics API as part of the Android NDK which Visual Studio includes if you follow the instructions here. You can find the install location of this NDK by going to Tools > Options > Cross Platform > C++ > Android. So I went to that location with windows file explorer and did a search for "vulkan" and sure enough there are Vulkan header files and folders and such. I just don't know what the proper files I need to reference are and how to reference them within Visual Studio.

Is it possible to develop a Vulkan Android app using Microsoft Visual Studio 2017? If so, how would I reference the Vulkan API from my native Android project?

2 Answers

Yes, it's perfectly possible to build native Vulkan applications using Visual Studio 2017.

To use Vulkan you only need to include the vulkan.h header file. That header will automatically include all other headers required for using Vulkan depending on your target platform.

Note that older android platform versions (23 and lower) don't include the vulkan.so library, so if you target these you'd need to dynamically load the Vulkan function pointers, even for non-extension functionality.

On WINDOWS, after the update, Android Studio stopped working.

I downloaded vulkan-1.dll from here. Then rename the file to vulkan-1.dll and place it in

C:\Android\SDK\emulator\lib64

This was the only solution (after multiple attempts) for me.

Related