I have a function that I want to x-unit test, but it seems that I have to mock the CreateClient function? Whenever I debug it during testing it seems that the var client is equals to null. I am injecting the dependencies properly, I am sure of that. What I want to know is how to mock the CreateClient.
here is that function:
public async Task CreateMessageHistoryAsync(Message message)
{
//This seems to be giving a null value
var client = this.clientFactory.CreateClient(NamedHttpClients.COUCHDB);
var formatter = new JsonMediaTypeFormatter();
formatter.SerializerSettings = new JsonSerializerSettings
{
Formatting = Formatting.Indented,
NullValueHandling = NullValueHandling.Ignore,
ContractResolver = new CamelCasePropertyNamesContractResolver()
};
Guid id = Guid.NewGuid();
var response = await client.PutAsync(id.ToString(), message, formatter);
if (!response.IsSuccessStatusCode)
{
throw new HttpRequestException(await response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync());
}
}
here is the unit test, I am mocking the IHttpClient in a separate class and I am using that class.
[Collection("MockStateCollection")]
public class CreateMessageHistory
{
private readonly MockStateFixture mockStateFixture;
public CreateMessageHistory(MockStateFixture mockStateFixture)
{
this.mockStateFixture = mockStateFixture;
}
[Fact]
public async Task Should_NotThrowHttpRequestException_When_AMessageHistoryIsCreated()
{
var recipients = MockMessage.GetRecipients("Acc", "Site 1", "Site 2", "Site 3");
var message = MockMessage.GetMessage(recipients);
mockStateFixture
.MockMessageHistoryService
.Setup(service => service.CreateMessageHistoryAsync(message));
var messageHistoryService = new MessageHistoryService(
mockStateFixture.MockIHttpClientFactory.Object);
mockStateFixture.MockIHttpClientFactory.Object.CreateClient("CouchDB");
var task = messageHistoryService.CreateMessageHistoryAsync(message);
var type = task.GetType();
Assert.True(type.GetGenericArguments()[0].Name == "VoidTaskResult");
Assert.True(type.BaseType == typeof(Task));
await task;
//await Assert.IsType<Task>(messageHistoryService.CreateMessageHistoryAsync(message));
// await Assert.ThrowsAsync<HttpRequestException>(() => messageHistoryService.CreateMessageHistoryAsync(message));
}
}
it seems to me that I also need to mock the CreateClient class is it?