Context
Hi All, I'm running a program called Firstrate 5 for work - its a simple java program to calculate thermal performance for buildings. After inputting a model the user presses Calculate and it computes the results. Some models are complex, and take in the order of minutes to calculate, which often as part of an iterative process is very time consuming. I had it on good authority that it was likely my old HDD slowing things down. It was time for an upgrade anyway, so I splashed out on a new computer with a SSD, faster CPU, 2x RAM. I was excited to see the performance improvement, so I decided to compare the time required to calculate the same model on my new an old machines. Lo and behold they both take exactly 3:15 seconds to calculate.
Question
What possible explanations are there for a java program to exhibit equivalent performance on a faster machine? Is this likely something to do with the way the software is coded, or could there be an equivalently sized hardware bottleneck on both systems? Does it have anything to do with the JRE? My main goal is to make the process faster, so any education or pointers you can give me may help me find a solution.
Old specs - (Toshiba Laptop Satellite L50-C) , Windows 10
CPU = Intel i7-5500U, 2 Cores @2.4GHz
RAM = 8GB (DDR3, 1600 MHz)
HDD = 5400 RPM
CPU usage during calculation ~ 54%
HDD usage during calculation ~ 20%
RAM usage during calculation ~ 53%
New specs - (PC Build), Windows 10
CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 6 Cores @3.6 GHz
RAM = 16GB (DDR 4 2400 MHz)
SSD (Samsung 860 EVO)
CPU usage during calculation = 9.7%
HDD usage during calculation = 19%
RAM usage during calculation ~ 0%