Work around Onesignal's Sanctions in an Ionic Application

Viewed 199

I created an app a while ago which used the Onesignal Push-Notification service for sending notifications. Since I live in Iran and we are under several sanctions, the notification service doesn't work (and doesn't give me a player_id) unless the device is connected through a VPN. I know there are alternatives to Onesignal but I suppose replacing them is gonna take a lot of time. I may eventually give up and go after some alternatives but I want to absolutely make sure that I can't work around Onesignal's sanctions. Since I'm new to Ionic, I wanted to ask if there's a way to set a proxy inside my application (that only affects my own app and doesn't "tunnel" the whole device). And if so, is it gonna make any difference in skipping the sanction? Or are there any other work-arounds? Or should I give up altogether? I am willing to provide you with further information if needed. Thanks in advance.

1 Answers

There are a few ways you can try to help you with your problem:

  • Use an alternative that can also keep your OneSignal users like Pushe (since you are in Iran and can't update the app)
    Simply go to the website and you can see the migrate button.
  • Use services that proxy OneSignal (e.g. YekSignal)
  • Since OneSignal SDK is open source you can build one yourself that uses your proxy VPN
    This method seems to handle all the requests and you can proxy it and build it again.
Related