I created a Cognito User Pool where users can sign up but can no longer sign in. I have attempted many different configurations, such as disabling MFA, turning off remembering of devices as I saw that can cause this issue, to no avail.
The weirdest thing is, that is works fine locally (localhost:5000). I can create accounts and login without any drama, but when I try to login on my site https://example.com (hosted on S3) it throws the above error. The users actually seem to get created in Cognito too if I signup - so that works, but the logins just don't work anywhere but locally.
I have double, triple checked every setting, env variable, recreated the user pool etc.
Error
This is the ambiguous error thrown when I attempt to login:
{
__type: "NotAuthorizedException",
message: "Incorrect username or password."
}
Pre-signup triggered lambda
I am confirming the users before they sign up via lambda:
import {INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR} from 'http-status-codes';
export async function validateHumanViaSns(
event: CognitoUserPoolTriggerEvent,
context: Context,
callback: Callback
): Promise<CognitoUserPoolTriggerHandler> {
try {
event.response.autoConfirmUser = true;
callback(null, event);
return;
} catch (error) {
console.error(error);
callback(null, new Response(INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR, {message: 'Something went wrong'}));
return;
}
}
package.json
My client is using the latest amplify-js library.
dependencies: {
"amplify": "1.1.19" // broken since 1.1.18
}
CloudFormation Cognito template
UserPool:
Type: 'AWS::Cognito::UserPool'
Properties:
UserPoolName: myapp-${self:provider.stage}-user-pool
SmsVerificationMessage: 'Your verification code is {####}.'
AutoVerifiedAttributes:
- email
MfaConfiguration: 'OFF'
EmailVerificationSubject: 'Your MyApp verification code'
EmailVerificationMessage: 'Your MyApp verification code is {####}.'
SmsAuthenticationMessage: 'Your MyApp authentication code is {####}.'
Schema:
- Name: name
AttributeDataType: String
Mutable: true
Required: false
- Name: email
AttributeDataType: String
Mutable: false
Required: false
- Name: phone_number
AttributeDataType: String
Mutable: true
Required: false
Policies:
PasswordPolicy:
RequireLowercase: true
RequireSymbols: false
RequireNumbers: true
MinimumLength: 8
RequireUppercase: true
AdminCreateUserConfig:
InviteMessageTemplate:
EmailMessage: 'Your MyApp username is {username} and temporary password is {####}.'
EmailSubject: 'Your temporary MyApp password'
SMSMessage: 'Your MyApp username is {username} and temporary password is {####}.'
UnusedAccountValidityDays: 7
AllowAdminCreateUserOnly: false
# Creates a User Pool Client to be used by the identity pool
UserPoolClient:
Type: 'AWS::Cognito::UserPoolClient'
Properties:
ClientName: myapp-${self:provider.stage}-web-client
GenerateSecret: false
UserPoolId:
Ref: UserPool
# Creates a federeated Identity pool
IdentityPool:
Type: 'AWS::Cognito::IdentityPool'
Properties:
IdentityPoolName: MyApp{self:provider.stage}Identity
AllowUnauthenticatedIdentities: true
CognitoIdentityProviders:
- ClientId:
Ref: UserPoolClient
ProviderName:
'Fn::GetAtt': [ UserPool, ProviderName ]
# Create a role for unauthorized access to AWS resources. Very limited access. Only allows users in the previously created Identity Pool
CognitoUnAuthorizedRole:
Type: 'AWS::IAM::Role'
Properties:
AssumeRolePolicyDocument:
Version: '2012-10-17'
Statement:
- Effect: 'Allow'
Principal:
Federated: 'cognito-identity.amazonaws.com '
Action:
- 'sts:AssumeRoleWithWebIdentity'
Condition:
StringEquals:
'cognito-identity.amazonaws.com :aud':
Ref: IdentityPool
'ForAnyValue:StringLike':
'cognito-identity.amazonaws.com :amr': unauthenticated
Policies:
- PolicyName: 'CognitoUnauthorizedPolicy'
PolicyDocument:
Version: '2012-10-17'
Statement:
- Effect: 'Allow'
Action:
- 'mobileanalytics:PutEvents'
- 'cognito-sync:*'
Resource: '*'
# Create a role for authorized access to AWS resources. Control what your user can access. This example only allows Lambda invokation
# Only allows users in the previously created Identity Pool
CognitoAuthorizedRole:
Type: 'AWS::IAM::Role'
Properties:
AssumeRolePolicyDocument:
Version: '2012-10-17'
Statement:
- Effect: 'Allow'
Principal:
Federated: 'cognito-identity.amazonaws.com '
Action:
- 'sts:AssumeRoleWithWebIdentity'
Condition:
StringEquals:
'cognito-identity.amazonaws.com :aud':
Ref: IdentityPool
'ForAnyValue:StringLike':
'cognito-identity.amazonaws.com :amr': authenticated
Policies:
- PolicyName: 'CognitoAuthorizedPolicy'
PolicyDocument:
Version: '2012-10-17'
Statement:
- Effect: 'Allow'
Action:
- 'mobileanalytics:PutEvents'
- 'cognito-sync:*'
- 'cognito-identity:*'
Resource: '*'
- Effect: 'Allow'
Action:
- 'lambda:InvokeFunction'
Resource: '*'
# Assigns the roles to the Identity Pool
IdentityPoolRoleMapping:
Type: 'AWS::Cognito::IdentityPoolRoleAttachment'
Properties:
IdentityPoolId:
Ref: IdentityPool
Roles:
authenticated:
'Fn::GetAtt': [ CognitoAuthorizedRole, Arn ]
unauthenticated:
'Fn::GetAtt': [ CognitoUnAuthorizedRole, Arn ]
Does anyone have any ideas as to why this particular error is thrown (I think it's misleading) or even better, how to fix this?