I'd also like to know how to turn off these sounds. I'm running VSCode on Windows 10. I did a search in the settings:
and nothing showed up.
I'd also like to know how to turn off these sounds. I'm running VSCode on Windows 10. I did a search in the settings:
and nothing showed up.
There is a commit that should be in v1.72 for two more audio cues:
terminal bell
task ended "Plays a sound when a task ends."
It looks like the previous audio cue setting: Audio Cues: Enabled is being replaced by a series of more specific settings. (At least, that setting has disappeared from my Insiders Build v1.65. A little odd that the general one-step enable/disable setting has been removed?)
But in v1.66 there is a volume control for all audio cuew that you could set to 0 to turn off or increase if the default of 50 is too low in volume:
Audio Cues Improvements
The new setting
audioCues.volume(0-100, default is 50) can be used to control the volume of audio cues. We also updated the audio cue for folded regions.
You can individually disable these:
Audio Cues: Line Has Breakpoint
Audio Cues: Line Has Error
Audio Cues: Line Has Folded Areas
Audio Cues: Line Has Inline Suggestion
Audio Cues: Line Has Warning
Audio Cues: No Inlay Hints
Audio Cues: On Debug Break
The default auto means the sound is enabled if there is screen reader attached.
Prior to v1.65
Audio Cues: Enabled
Options:
Auto: Enable audio cues when a screen reader is attached
On: Enable audio cues
Off: Disable audio cues
See v1.64 Release Notes: Audio Cues:
Audio cues indicate if the current line has certain markers, such as errors, breakpoints, or folded text regions.
They are played when the primary cursor changes its line or the first time a marker is added to the current line. Audio cues are enabled automatically when a screen reader is attached, but can also be turned on manually by setting
audioCues.enabledto on.More audio cues are to come and we will iterate on the sound design.
And in the Insiders Build v1.65 there are more applicable settings to separately enable certain kinds of audio cue events:
audioCues.onDebugBreak: Plays a sound when the debugger stopped on a breakpoint.
audioCues.lineHasBreakpoint: "Plays a sound when the active line has a breakpoint."
audioCues.lineHasInlineSuggestion: "Plays a sound when the active line has an inline suggestion."
audioCues.lineHasError: "Plays a sound when the active line has an error."
audioCues.lineHasFoldedArea: "Plays a sound when the active line has a folded area that can be unfolded."
audioCues.lineHasWarning: "Plays a sound when the active line has a warning." (off by default)
How to hear the different sounds available and enable/disable individual audio/sound settings.
This is because you possibly have accessibility Support enabled, so you just have to disable it.
...
"editor.accessibilitySupport": "off",
...
Not an elegant solution, but works:
OR
THEN
MacOS / MacBook => VS Code Preferences => Accessibility Support => Off
** I was using VIM extension and it was triggering bell sound each time I pass over a line with some error shown by linter.
Windows Only
TL;DR Disable them system wide in Control Panel
I wanted to disable sound when discarding changes in VScode. It should work for all sounds tho since it's system wide.
From Windows Search Bar (next to Start): Control Panel -> Sound -> Sounds
In the drop down of sounds there are a number that play the same sound. You can test them first then set the ones U want to none. I disabled personally Asterisks, Close Program, Default Beep, & Exclamation to stop the sound.
This isn't a great solution since it disables the sounds via Windows system wide and not just in VScode, so be warned. These instructions are for Windows 10.
I'm not sure if this is going to help anyone but I'll add it anyway.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE accessibility settings turned off.
There are some truly horrible things that can happen when you have them turned on. the bell will go crazy with sounds every time you move around.
"editor.accessibilitySupport": "off", // Very F@#@ing IMPORTANT
You'll need to restart your terminals to make the following setting change to apply.
Add/update the following line : "terminal.integrated.enableBell": false
Open the user settings by either :
In the terminal panel, clicking the dropdown terminals list (in the upper-right corner) then "Configure Terminal Settings"
Or opening the Command Palette (ctrl+shift+P)
Scroll down to "Terminal> Integrated: Enable Bell" and uncheck it
go vscode settings
and type
Audio Cues
click to open image of my-settings like this
select
Audio Cues: of,
then it's working