converting pointcloud data from mmwave sensor to laserscan

Viewed 227

I am using ti mmwave 1642 evm sensor for generation of pointcloud data. For processing the data, I am using Intel NUC. I am facing the problem of converting pointcloud data from mmwave sensor to laserscan. By launching rviz_1642_2d.launch, I am able to see pointcloud data in rviz. How to convert the pointcloud data, generated from mmwave sensor, to laserscan?

1 Answers

First of all, this conversion is not straight forward since a pointcloud describes an unordered set of 3d points in the world. A laser scan, on the other hand, is a well parametrized and ordered 2d description of equiangular distance measurements. Therefore, converting a pointcloud into a laserscan will cause a massive loss in information. However, there are packages like pointcloud_to_laserscan which does the conversion for you and furthermore, you can define how the conversion should be applied.

Related