General information about my setup
Currently I am building a web application using react and a nodejs API that is providing the data for this web application. Both apps are hosted on heroku.com and run independently from each other. I have bought a custom domain from a different hosting provider and used the heroku custom domain option to point the DNS to my website.
Technical details about my setup
- NodeJS server: Express
- NodeJS version: v10.15.0
- React version: v16.2.0
- Custom domain: www.tabbs.nl
- Heroku domain: tabbs-web-app.herokuapp.com
The issue I am experiencing
I have been digging into a lot of documentation and tutorials in order to setup SSL for react / NodeJS but couldn't find a decent tutorial about how to set SSL / security for my setup.
Tutorials I already have read:
- Node + Express + Lets Encrypt
- How to use SSL/TLS with nodejs
- Stack overflow posts and probably a whole lot more I am forgetting right now.
What do I want to achieve?
The goal I would like to achieve is setting up a secure connection between React web application (frontend) and NodeJS API (backend) so that all data between those is encrypted and safe. Also I want my custom domain (bought by a different hosting provider than Heroku) to be secure and forced using https.
For any questions or additional information please do not hesitate to ask!