I have the following XML document:
<Item ID="288917">
<Main>
<Platform>iTunes</Platform>
<PlatformID>353736518</PlatformID>
</Main>
<Genres>
<Genre FacebookID="6003161475030">Comedy</Genre>
<Genre FacebookID="6003172932634">TV-Show</Genre>
</Genres>
<Products>
<Product Country="CA">
<URL>https://itunes.apple.com/ca/tv-season/id353187108?i=353736518</URL>
<Offers>
<Offer Type="HDBUY">
<Price>3.49</Price>
<Currency>CAD</Currency>
</Offer>
<Offer Type="SDBUY">
<Price>2.49</Price>
<Currency>CAD</Currency>
</Offer>
</Offers>
</Product>
<Product Country="FR">
<URL>https://itunes.apple.com/fr/tv-season/id353187108?i=353736518</URL>
<Rating>Tout public</Rating>
<Offers>
<Offer Type="HDBUY">
<Price>2.49</Price>
<Currency>EUR</Currency>
</Offer>
<Offer Type="SDBUY">
<Price>1.99</Price>
<Currency>EUR</Currency>
</Offer>
</Offers>
</Product>
</Products>
</Item>
Currently, to get it into json format I'm doing the following:
parser = etree.XMLParser(recover=True)
node = etree.fromstring(s, parser=parser)
data = xmltodict.parse(etree.tostring(node))
Of course the xmltodict is doing the heavy lifting. However, it gives me a format that is not ideal for what I'm trying to accomplish. Here is what I'd like the end data to look like:
{
"Item[@ID]": 288917, # if no preceding element, use the root node tag
"Main.Platform": "iTunes",
"Main.PlatformID": "353736518",
"Genres.Genre": ["Comedy", "TV-Show"] # list of elements if repeated
"Genres.Genre[@FacebookID]": ["6003161475030", "6003161475030"],
"Products.Product[@Country]": ["CA", "FR"],
"Products.Product.URL": ["https://itunes.apple.com/ca/tv-season/id353187108?i=353736518", "https://itunes.apple.com/fr/tv-season/id353187108?i=353736518"],
"Products.Product.Offers.Offer[@Type]": ["HDBUY", "SDBUY", "HDBUY", "SDBUY"],
"Products.Product.Offers.Offer.Price": ["3.49", "2.49", "2.49", "1.99"],
"Products.Product.Offers.Offer.Currency": "EUR"
}