I built a large application where a single button on the navbar opens a modal.
I'm keeping track of the modalOpen state using context API.
So, user clicks button on navbar. Modal Opens. Modal has container called QuoteCalculator.
QuoteCalculator looks as follows:
class QuoteCalculator extends React.Component {
static contextType = ModalContext;
// ...
onSubmit = () => {
// ...
this.context.toggleModal();
this.props.history.push('/quote');
// ..
};
render() {
//...
return(<Question {...props} next={this.onSubmit} />;)
}
}
export default withRouter(QuoteCalculator);
Now, everything works as expected. When the user submits, I go to the right route. I just see the following warning on the console
index.js:1446 Warning: withRouter(QuoteCalculator): Function components do not support contextType.
I'm tempted to ignore the warning, but I don't think its a good idea.
I tried using Redirect alternatively. So something like
QuoteCalculator looks as follows:
class QuoteCalculator extends React.Component {
static contextType = ModalContext;
// ...
onSubmit = () => {
// ...
this.context.toggleModal();
this.setState({done: true});
// ..
};
render() {
let toDisplay;
if(this.state.done) {
toDisplay = <Redirect to="/quote"/>
} else {
toDipslay = <Question {...props} next={this.onSubmit} />;
}
return(<>{toDisplay}</>)
}
}
export default QuoteCalculator;
The problem with this approach is that I kept on getting the error
You tried to redirect to the same route you're currently on
Also, I'd rather not use this approach, just because then I'd have to undo the state done (otherwise when user clicks button again, done is true, and we'll just get redirected) ...
Any idea whats going on with withRouter and history.push?
Here's my app
class App extends Component {
render() {
return (
<Layout>
<Switch>
<Route path="/quote" component={Quote} />
<Route path="/pricing" component={Pricing} />
<Route path="/about" component={About} />
<Route path="/faq" component={FAQ} />
<Route path="/" exact component={Home} />
<Redirect to="/" />
</Switch>
</Layout>
);
}
}