I would like to have the following code in c++17:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <type_traits>
#include <functional>
class Foo;
template<class T>
class Bar {
public:
std::function<T(Foo&)> m_fn;
template<class Fn>
Bar(Fn fn) : m_fn(fn) {};
T thing(Foo &foo) const {
return m_fn(foo);
}
};
template<class Fn>
Bar(Fn) -> Bar<decltype(std::invoke(std::declval<Fn>(),
std::declval<Foo&>()))>;
class Foo {
public:
Foo() {};
template<class T>
std::vector<T> do_thing(const Bar<T> &b) {
std::vector<T> r;
r.push_back(b.thing(*this));
return r;
}
};
std::string test(Foo &) {
return "hello";
}
int main() {
Foo foo = Foo();
// works
std::vector<std::string> s = foo.do_thing(Bar{test});
// cant deduce T parameter to do_thing
std::vector<std::string> s = foo.do_thing({test});
}
But compiling this gives me "couldn't deduce template parameter ‘T’" on the call to do_thing.
Having do_thing(Bar{test}) fixes this and works fine but equates to some ugly code in the real code equivalent. I would like to have do_thing({test}) or do_thing(test) implicitly construct a Bar and pass that as the argument if possible.
I also don't want to forward declare a variable to pass into do_thing either
Is there some way to guide the inference of template argument T so that the call to do_thing can stay clean?
Edit:
Sorry for the late edit, but the arguments to the Bar constructor are over simplified in the example I included. In reality, there is an extra parameter std::optional<std::string> desc = std::nullopt and that might change in the future (although unlikely). So constructing the Bar inside do_thing would be a bit hard to maintain...