Google search console fails to fetch sitemaps | "Sitemap could not be read"

Viewed 18353

I have generated a sitemap from online generators, it seems to be working and even i tested it on old google search console sitemap testor and it works. but when i submit it in both versions it just displays error message.

enter image description here

7 Answers

Try using the URL Inspection on the sitemap url. it SHOULD say not indexed (it's a sitemap not a page, so shouldn't be indexed!), but can use the Live Test, to check if Googlebot CAN fetch it! If Google can fetch it, it's most likely just Pending, which case just wait.

In my case, it's the sitemap that had a syntax error. You should open sitemaps in Firefox, it will tell you if you have a syntax error.

Your sitemap domain address might have changed. If it is wordpress use yoast plugin, where search console will automatically consider sitemap.xml

I had the same problem and the solution was very simple, just put the full path to your sitemap.

Where the console asks 'add new sitemap', instead of writing /sitemap.xml, write the full path, such as https://example.com/sitemap.xml.

That should fix the problem.

Using the yoast SEO plugin which built out 10 sitemaps, the index got red the first time and only one of the sub-sitemaps did. I manually visited the other sitemaps (likely they took to long to respond I thought) and deleted the sitemap on google search console and re-uploaded. All were read that time.

Related