How to install GUI (Desktop) in Amazon Linux 2 AMI

Viewed 3373

I am trying to install GUI on my Amazon Linux 2 AMI. I tried several solutions like GNNOME and Mate Desktop, but when I try to install desktop by group list I get a warning:

group Desktop does not exist or GNOME does not exist.

How can I resolve this issue?

1 Answers

This is now supported.

See this article in the AWS knowledge base:
How do I install a GUI on my Amazon EC2 instance running Amazon Linux 2?

Last updated: 2021-04-20
I want to install a graphical user interface (GUI) in my Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instance running Amazon Linux 2. How do I do this?

Short description

To install a GUI on your EC2 Linux instance, do the following:

  1. Install the MATE desktop environment. MATE is a lightweight GUI based on GNOME 2 available as an extra for Amazon Linux 2. The Amazon Linux 2 offering of Amazon WorkSpaces uses MATE. For more information about MATE, see the MATE desktop environment website.
  2. Install a virtual network computing (VNC) service, such as TigerVNC. For more information about TigerVNC, see the tigervnc.org website.
  3. Connect to the GUI using the VNC.
  4. (Optional) Install a web browser, such as Firefox or Chromium. For more information on Firefox, see the mozilla.org website. For more information on Chromium, see the chromium.org website. Note: These instructions apply only to Amazon Linux 2. To confirm the version that you're running, run the following command:
cat /etc/os-release
Related