The code below is the beginnings of a small library I'm writing to talk to a web API. Users of the library will instantiate a client MyClient and access the web API through it. Here, I'm trying to get an access token from the API before making requests to it.
In get_new_access() I'm able to make the request and receive the JSON response. I then try to use serde to turn the response into an Access struct, and this is where the problems start.
I've created a library specific error enum MyError which can represent the JSON deserializing and reqwest errors that could occur within get_new_access(). However, when I go to compile I get the trait serde::Deserialize<'_> is not implemented for MyError. My understanding is that this is happening because in the case that I get one of the aforementioned errors, serde does not know how to deserialize it into an Access struct. Of course, I don't want it to do that at all, so my question is what should I do?
I've looked at various serde deserialize examples, but all of them seem to assume that they are running in a main function that can only return a serde error. If I put #[derive(Deserialize)] above MyError's declaration, then I get the same error, but it shifts to reqwest::Error and serde_json::Error instead.
use std::error;
use std::fmt;
extern crate chrono;
extern crate reqwest;
#[macro_use]
extern crate serde_derive;
extern crate serde;
extern crate serde_json;
use chrono::prelude::*;
use reqwest::Client;
pub struct MyClient {
access: Access,
token_expires: DateTime<Utc>,
}
#[derive(Deserialize, Debug)]
struct Access {
access_token: String,
expires_in: i64,
token_type: String,
}
fn main() {
let sc: MyClient = MyClient::new();
println!("{:?}", &sc.access);
}
impl MyClient {
pub fn new() -> MyClient {
let a: Access = MyClient::get_new_access().expect("Couldn't get Access");
let e: DateTime<Utc> = chrono::Utc::now(); //TODO
MyClient {
access: a,
token_expires: e,
}
}
fn get_new_access() -> Result<Access, MyError> {
let params = ["test"];
let client = Client::new();
let json = client
.post(&[""].concat())
.form(¶ms)
.send()?
.text()
.expect("Couldn't get JSON Response");
println!("{}", &json);
serde_json::from_str(&json)?
//let a = Access {access_token: "Test".to_string(), expires_in: 3600, token_type: "Test".to_string() };
//serde_json::from_str(&json)?
}
}
#[derive(Debug)]
pub enum MyError {
WebRequestError(reqwest::Error),
ParseError(serde_json::Error),
}
impl fmt::Display for MyError {
fn fmt(&self, f: &mut fmt::Formatter) -> fmt::Result {
write!(f, "eRROR")
}
}
impl error::Error for MyError {
fn description(&self) -> &str {
"API internal error"
}
fn cause(&self) -> Option<&error::Error> {
// Generic error, underlying cause isn't tracked.
None
}
}
impl From<serde_json::Error> for MyError {
fn from(e: serde_json::Error) -> Self {
MyError::ParseError(e)
}
}
impl From<reqwest::Error> for MyError {
fn from(e: reqwest::Error) -> Self {
MyError::WebRequestError(e)
}
}
Playground link here.