I have the following React component that shows all the users posts through the "renderPosts" method. Below it there's a like/unlike button on whether the currently logged in user has liked the post.
However, when I click on the like button, the component does not re-render in order for the "renderPosts" method to create an unlike button and the "like string" is modified as expected. Only when I go to another component and then come back to this component does the unlike button display and vice versa.
Is there anyway that I could fix this with Redux in my app? I tried this.forceUpdate after the onClick event but still does not work...
Also I tried creating a new Reducer called "likers", according to robinsax which basically get the array of users who like a particular post and imported it as props into the component but got
"this.props.likers.includes(currentUser)" is not a function
When the app first gets to the main page (PostIndex), probably because this.props.likers is still an empty object returned from reducer
Here is the code for my action creator:
export function likePost(username,postId) {
// body...
const request = {
username,
postId
}
const post = axios.post(`${ROOT_URL}/likePost`,request);
return{
type: LIKE_POST,
payload: post
}
}
export function unlikePost(username,postId){
const request = {
username,
postId
}
const post = axios.post(`${ROOT_URL}/unlikePost`,request);
return{
type: UNLIKE_POST,
payload: post
}
}
And this is my reducer:
import {LIKE_POST,UNLIKE_POST} from '../actions/index.js';
export default function(state = {},action){
switch(action.type){
case LIKE_POST:
const likers = action.payload.data.likedBy;
console.log(likers);
return likers;
case UNLIKE_POST:
const unlikers = action.payload.data.likedBy;
console.log(unlikers);
return unlikers;
default:
return state;
}
}
I would really appreciate any help since I'm a beginner
import { fetchPosts } from "../actions/";
import { likePost } from "../actions/";
import { unlikePost } from "../actions/";
class PostsIndex extends Component {
componentDidMount() {
this.props.fetchPosts();
}
renderPost() {
const currentUser = Object.values(this.props.users)[0].username;
return _.map(this.props.posts, post => {
return (
<li className="list-group-item">
<Link to={`/user/${post.username}`}>
Poster: {post.username}
</Link>
<br />
Created At: {post.createdAt}, near {post.location}
<br />
<Link to={`/posts/${post._id}`}>{post.title}</Link>
<br />
//error here, with this.props.likers being an
//array
{!this.props.likers.includes(currentUser) ? (
<Button
onClick={() => this.props.likePost(currentUser,post._id)}
bsStyle="success"
>
Like
</Button>
) : (
<Button
onClick={() => this.props.unlikePost(currentUser,post._id)}
bsStyle="warning"
>
Unlike
</Button>
)}{" "}
{post.likedBy.length === 1
? `${post.likedBy[0]} likes this`
: `${post.likedBy.length} people like this`}
</li>
);
});
}
function mapStateToProps(state) {
return {
posts: state.posts,
users: state.users,
likers: state.likers
};
}
}