I am trying to write my own modeling function in R, one which takes a formula, some data, and maybe some extra context, like weights; after calling model.frame to extract the necessary numeric data, it will perform a fit. My first pass looked like:
my_modfunc <- function(formula,data,weights=NULL) {
mf <- model.frame(formula,data=data,weights=weights)
wt <- model.weights(mf)
# do some fitting here...
}
# make fake data to test it
set.seed(1234)
data <- data.frame(x1=rnorm(50),x2=rnorm(50),y=rnorm(50),w=runif(50))
# call it:
my_modfunc(y ~ x1 + x2,data=data,weights=w)
This fails, I get the error:
Error in model.frame.default(formula, data = data, weights = weights) :
invalid type (closure) for variable '(weights)'
Similarly, if I call
my_modfunc(y ~ x1 + x2,data=data,weights='w')
I get the same error. I suspect there is some problem with environment, quoting, and so on.
Cutting and pasting the source for lm, I could rewrite my function as
# based on lm
weird_modfunc <- function(formula,data,weights=NULL ) {
cl <- match.call() # what?
mf <- match.call(expand.dots = FALSE) # what??
m <- match(c("formula", "data", "weights"), names(mf), 0L)
mf <- mf[c(1L, m)] # ??
mf$drop.unused.levels <- TRUE # ??
mf[[1L]] <- quote(stats::model.frame) ## ???
mf <- eval(mf, parent.frame())
wt <- as.vector(model.weights(mf))
# do some fitting here...
}
# this runs without error:
weird_modfunc(y ~ x1 + x2,data=data,weights=w)
# this fails with the same error as above about variable lengths.
weird_modfunc(y ~ x1 + x2,data=data,weights='w')
The problem is that this contains multiple somewhat mystical incantations that I do not know how to interpret, modify or maintain.
What is the right way to call model.frame? Bonus points for making my function accept both weights=w and weights='w'