Why is conda being called when I open up a terminal?

Viewed 5435

I'm using Kubuntu and have installed anaconda. When I open up Konsole (the terminal), there's a slight pause before I get the command line. The slight pause is being caused by a conda process running (looking at the output of the top command). I installed the latest version of anaconda and then have used a 3.6 python environment by

conda install python=3.6

(I use tensorflow which doesn't use 3.7 yet)

I have previously used older versions of anaconda to get version 3.6 and haven't seen this problem. This time however I tried to do it the recommended way as shown above.

Why does conda run when starting up a terminal, what is it doing, and how can I stop it?

EDIT: whats been added to my bashrc file

# added by Anaconda3 5.3.1 installer
# >>> conda init >>>
# !! Contents within this block are managed by 'conda init' !!
__conda_setup="$(CONDA_REPORT_ERRORS=false '/home/alex/anaconda3/bin/conda' shell.bash hook 2> /dev/null)" if [
$? -eq 0 ]; then
    \eval "$__conda_setup" else
if [ -f "/home/alex/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh" ]; then
    . "/home/alex/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"
    CONDA_CHANGEPS1=false conda activate base
else
    \export PATH="/home/alex/anaconda3/bin:$PATH"
    fi 
fi 
unset __conda_setup
# <<< conda init <<<

I don't see anything there that would be called every time I open up a terminal.

2 Answers

This can be solved by typing:

$ conda config --set auto_activate_base false

Another way you can do this is by opening your ~/.condarc file and manipulating it yourself.

$ open ~/.condarc

Replace auto_activate_base: true with auto_activate_base: false
If its not found add this line: auto_activate_base: false

You can reverse this by typing: $ conda config --set auto_activate_base true

Simply run:

conda config --set changeps1 False

You can also edit your ~/.bashrc

vi ~/.bashrc
Related