If you run GNU parallel with --joblog path/to/logfile and then delete a line from said logfile while parallel is running, GNU parallel is no longer able to append future completed jobs to it.
Execute this MWE:
#!/usr/bin/bash
parallel -j1 -n0 --joblog log sleep 1 ::: $(seq 10) &
sleep 5 && sed -i '$ d' log
If you tail -f log prior to execution, you can see that parallel keeps writing to this file. However, if you cat log after 10 seconds, you will see that nothing was written to the actual file now on disk after the third entry or so.
What's the reason behind this? Is there a way to delete something from the file and have GNU parallel be able to still write to it?
Some background as to why this happened:
Using GNU parallel, I started a few jobs on remote machines with --sshloginfile. I then needed to pkill a few jobs on one of the machines because a colleague needed to use it (and I subsequently removed the machine from the sshloginfile so that parallel wouldn't reuse it for new runs). If you pkill those processes started on the remote machine, they get an Exitval of 0 (it looks like they finished without issues; you can't tell that they were killed). I wanted to remove them immediately from the joblog so that when I restart parallel --resume later, parallel can have a look at the joblog and determine what's missing.
Turns out, this was a bad idea, as now my joblog is useless.