Python-camelot (Error: GhostscriptNotFound while it is installed)

Viewed 29562

I am trying to extract tabular data from pdf using camelot and I am getting the following error.

Code:

tables = camelot.read_pdf(file_name)

Error:

GhostscriptNotFound: Please make sure that Ghostscript is installed and available on the PATH environment variable

I have already installed Ghostscript and I have it available on the PATH environment variable.

Please find below version details:

  • Windows-10-10.0.17134-SP0
  • Python 3.6.5 |Anaconda, Inc.| (default, Mar 29 2018, 13:32:41) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)]
  • NumPy 1.14.3
  • openCV 3.4.3
  • Camelot 0.3.2

Please help resolve this issue.

15 Answers

Adding both the "bin" and "lib" paths for Ghostscript to the PATH worked for me:

  • C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.26\bin
  • C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.26\lib

I unistalled the 64bit and

  1. Install the 32bit version

  2. Add the following two paths on Windows Environment Variables:

    C:\Program Files(x86)\gs\gs9.26\bin

    C:\Program Files(x86)\gs\gs9.26\lib

and now it works

Tried all the solutions. The only option that works is to use 32 bit ghostscript.

I had the same problem. I solved it by uninstalling the 64 bit version and installing the 32 bit version.

I realized that. If you are using the Python 64bit you need install ghostcript64 bit, else 32 bit.

Also set path for 64bit: C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.26\bin C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.26\lib

or for below for 32bit C:\Program Files(x86)\gs\gs9.26\bin C:\Program Files(x86)\gs\gs9.26\lib

Here is my solution (Windows OS (11, 64 BIT)):

  1. Download and install the desired ghost version you wish (32,64 - does not matter)
  2. Using "dir /x" command, get the short version of the path of your installation (c:\progra~1\blahbla...). My location (I love altering the default suggestion) is "C:\Program Files\gs\GPLGhostScript" and the short name is "c:\progra~1\gs\GPLGhostScript"
  3. Add this to the path together with \bin. In my case "c:\progra~1\gs\GPLGhostScript\bin" (no need for lib path as suggested by others)
  4. Restart your PC
  5. Test your installation of GhostScript according to this link.

Good luck :)

A very simple way is to install Ghostscript from the official website.

Then give the location while set-up the library in the Anaconda script folder. Wait for 10 minutes after closing the Python platforms.

This worked for me:

C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.55.0\bin

Just find the path location, copy it, and paste it into user and system variables Path (Environment variables).

I solved this problem.

  1. I downloaded Ghostscript.
  2. Then installed it at C:/programfiles.
  3. Added set path: C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.26\bin + C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.26\lib
  4. Restarted my computer.

After these steps, it worked.

For me, uninstalling camelot and re-installing with conda install -c conda-forge camelot-py instead of pip solved the problem (as ghostscript is also re-installed)

This is how I solved for this error on a Windows computer, similar to what Alexander Garzo posted:

  1. Went to File Explorer -> C drive -> Program Files -> gs -> gs9.55.0 -> shift-clicked on bin folder -> copied as path ("C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.55.0\bin")
  2. Then went to environmental variables -> Path -> Edit -> New -> pasted above -> OK -> restarted computer.

I then ran the following code in Python:

import ctypes
from ctypes.util import find_library
find_library("".join(("gsdll", str(ctypes.sizeof(ctypes.c_voidp) * 8), ".dll")))

The output was "C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.55.0\bin\gsdll64.dll" which means the solution worked. I was then able to install and use Camelot with no problems.

I was getting this Error (OSError: Ghostscript is not installed. You can install it using the instructions here: https://camelot-py.readthedocs.io/en/master/user/install-deps.html) I tried everything mentioned here and also in Github. but after installing Ghostscript from here and then adding to the PATH. I keep trying methods to solve it. BUT the solution is to just Restart your computer and everything Works. so Restart is Must.

Related