I am trying to sign some data using a certificate private key. The issue I'm finding is that the signature is different depending on if I'm executing it locally or on a server.
I'm using the following code as a test, running under the same user both locally and on the server:
using System;
using System.Security.Cryptography;
using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
using System.Text;
namespace TestSignature
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
var key = SigningKeyFromCertificate(StoreName.My, StoreLocation.LocalMachine, X509FindType.FindByThumbprint, "thumbprint");
var alg = CryptoConfig.MapNameToOID("SHA256");
var data = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes("test");
var sig = key.SignData(data, alg);
Console.WriteLine(Convert.ToBase64String(sig));
}
private static RSACryptoServiceProvider SigningKeyFromCertificate(StoreName storeName, StoreLocation storeLocation, X509FindType findType, string findValue)
{
X509Store store = new X509Store(storeName, storeLocation);
store.Open(OpenFlags.ReadOnly);
var certs = store.Certificates.Find(findType, findValue, false);
if (certs?.Count > 0)
{
var cert = certs[0];
if (cert.HasPrivateKey)
{
// Force use of Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider to allow use of SHA256.
var key = cert.PrivateKey as RSACryptoServiceProvider;
var enhanced = new RSACryptoServiceProvider().CspKeyContainerInfo;
var parameters = new CspParameters(enhanced.ProviderType, enhanced.ProviderName, key.CspKeyContainerInfo.UniqueKeyContainerName);
return new RSACryptoServiceProvider(parameters);
}
else
{
throw new Exception($"No private key access to cert '{findValue}.'");
}
}
else
{
throw new Exception($"Cert '{findValue}' not found!");
}
}
}
}
Locally, I get the following signature:
YUjspKhLl7v3u5VQkh1PfHytMTpEtbAftxOA5v4lmph3B4ssVlZp7KedO5NW9K5L222Kz9Ik9/55NirS0cNCz/cDhEFRtD4daJ9qLRuM8oD5hCj6Jt9Vc6WeS2he+Cqfoylnv4V9plfi1xw8y7EyAf4C77BGkXOdyP5wyz2Xubo=
On the server, I get this one instead:
u1RUDwbBlUpOgNNkAjXhYEWfVLGpMOa0vEfm6PUkB4y9PYBk1lDmCAp+488ta+ipbTdSDLM9btRqsQfZ7JlIn/dIBw9t5K63Y7dcDcc7gDLE1+umLJ7EincMcdwUv3YQ0zCvzc9RrP0jKJManV1ptQNnODpMktGYAq1KmJb9aTY=
Any idea of what could be different? I would think, with the same certificate, the same code, and the same data, the signature should be the same.
(The example is written in C# 4.5.2.)