How can I detect if my fetched email is bounced or not

Viewed 566

I fetched emails from servers by using IMAP or POP3 and entered the fetched emails to database but I noticed there are a lot of bounced emails entered to the system so I searched a lot on google to check fetched email and if it's bounced email I'll not enter it to the system and I found library BounceDetectResult to detect if email is bounced or not but this library working only with message type MimeMessage so It's useful when I use IMAP but it's not work with message type OpenPop.Mime.Message so I can't use It when I use POP3

 var result= BounceDetectorMail.Detect(message);//message type MimeMessage
        if (result.IsBounce) 
        {
            em.DelivaryFailure = true;
        }

so my problem I didn't find way to detect if my retrieved message is bounced or not when I use pop3 in retrieving

2 Answers

It looks like the MailBounceDetector library that you mentioned uses my MimeKit library to detect if a message is a bounced message or not.

The good news is that you can use that library because I also have a library that does POP3 called MailKit, so you can use that instead of OpenPOP.NET.

For any who may need, from Bounce inspector software library, supports both POP3 and IMAP:

// POP3 server information.
const string serverName = "myserver";
const string user = "name@domain.com";
const string password = "mytestpassword";
const int port = 995;
const SecurityMode securityMode = SecurityMode.Implicit;
// Create a new instance of the Pop3Client class.
Pop3Client client = new Pop3Client();
Console.WriteLine("Connecting Pop3 server: {0}:{1}...", serverName, port);
// Connect to the server.
client.Connect(serverName, port, securityMode);
// Login to the server.
Console.WriteLine("Logging in as {0}...", user);
client.Authenticate(user, password);
// Initialize BounceInspector.
BounceInspector inspector = new BounceInspector();
inspector.AllowInboxDelete = false; // true if you want BounceInspector automatically delete all hard bounces.
// Register processed event handler.
inspector.Processed += inspector_Processed;
// Download messages from Pop3 Inbox to 'c:\test' and process them.
BounceResultCollection result = inspector.ProcessMessages(client, "c:\\test");
// Display processed emails.
foreach (BounceResult r in result)
{
   // If this message was identified as a bounced email message.
   if (r.Identified)
   {
       // Print out the result
       Console.Write("FileName: {0}\nSubject: {1}\nAddress: {2}\nBounce Category: {3}\nBounce Type: {4}\nDeleted: {5}\nDSN Action: {6}\nDSN Diagnostic Code: {7}\n\n",
                       System.IO.Path.GetFileName(r.FilePath),
                       r.MailMessage.Subject,
                       r.Addresses[0],
                       r.BounceCategory.Name,
                       r.BounceType.Name,
                       r.FileDeleted,
                       r.Dsn.Action,
                       r.Dsn.DiagnosticCode);
   }
}
Console.WriteLine("{0} bounced message found", result.BounceCount);
// Disconnect.
Console.WriteLine("Disconnecting...");
client.Disconnect();
Related