I'm trying to accomplish an exercise "left to the reader" in the 2018 Rust book. The example they have, 10-15, uses the Copy trait. However, they recommend implementing the same without Copy and I've been really struggling with it.
Without Copy, I cannot use largest = list[0]. The compiler recommends using a reference instead. I do so, making largest into a &T. The compiler then complains that the largest used in the comparison is a &T, not T, so I change it to *largest to dereference the pointer. This goes fine, but then stumbles on largest = item, with complaints about T instead of &T. I switch to largest = &item. Then I get an error I cannot deal with:
error[E0597]: `item` does not live long enough
--> src/main.rs:6:24
|
6 | largest = &item;
| ^^^^ borrowed value does not live long enough
7 | }
8 | }
| - borrowed value only lives until here
|
note: borrowed value must be valid for the anonymous lifetime #1 defined on the function body at 1:1...
I do not understand how to lengthen the life of this value. It lives and dies in the list.iter(). How can I extend it while still only using references?
Here is my code for reference:
fn largest<T: PartialOrd>(list: &[T]) -> &T {
let mut largest = &list[0];
for &item in list.iter() {
if item > *largest {
largest = &item;
}
}
largest
}