I was sitting in listening to a Javascript class today and they were covering something I hadn't seen before and which I don't fully understand. I will try to reproduce as best I can from memory
Instead of using the catch of a Promise to handle errors, which I'm used to, the teacher used try...catch wrapped around the Promise and its thens. When I asked him why he did this, he said it was to catch the error 'synchronously'. That is, instead of the following format (I'm using pseudocode), which I'm used to
someLibrary.someFunctionThatReturnsAPromise
.then(() => something)
.then(() => somethingElse)
.catch(err => reportError)
he did it thus
try {
someLibrary.someFunctionThatReturnsAPromise
.then(() => something)
.then(() => somethingElse)
}
catch(err) {
reportError
}
What would be the difference between these two ways of catching the error? How would wrapping a Promise, which is asynchronous, report errors in a synchronous fashion?
Thanks for any insights!