cygwin - gcc compiler installation

Viewed 4252

I have installed cygwin on my Windows 7 platform. I now wish to access gcc. When I type man gcc, there is no gcc. When I search the downloaded folder for cygwin, I have a folder cygwin\x86_64\release\gcc and two other folders libgcc1 and libstdc++6; each folder has a tar file.

How do I install gcc please?

1 Answers

The instruction for the usage of cygwin setup are here:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html#setup-packages

By default the setup installs only the packages in the Base Category, that are 36 plus some libraries needed by them. Any of the remaining ~ 8000 packages must be installed directly or could come as dependency of installed packages.

The package that contains the gcc compiler can be found with cygcheck

$ cygcheck -p bin/gcc.exe
Found 6 matches for bin/gcc.exe
gcc-core-7.3.0-1 - gcc-core: GNU Compiler Collection (C, OpenMP)
gcc-core-7.3.0-2 - gcc-core: GNU Compiler Collection (C, OpenMP)
gcc-core-7.3.0-3 - gcc-core: GNU Compiler Collection (C, OpenMP)
gcc-debuginfo-7.3.0-1 - gcc-debuginfo: Debug info for gcc
gcc-debuginfo-7.3.0-2 - gcc-debuginfo: Debug info for gcc
gcc-debuginfo-7.3.0-3 - gcc-debuginfo: Debug info for gcc

so you need to install gcc-core

Related