I have a 2D array, where each row has a label that is stored in a separate array (not necessarily unique). For each label, I want to extract the rows from my 2D array that have this label. A basic working example of what I want would be this:
import numpy as np
data=np.array([[1,2],[3,5],[7,10], [20,32],[0,0]])
label=np.array([1,1,1,0,1])
#very simple approach
label_values=np.unique(label)
res=[]
for la in label_values:
data_of_this_label_val=data[label==la]
res+=[data_of_this_label_val]
print(res)
The result (res) can have any format, as long as it is easily accessible. In the above example, it would be
[array([[20, 32]]), array([[ 1, 2],
[ 3, 5],
[ 7, 10],
[ 0, 0]])]
Note that I can easily associate each element in my list to one of the unique labels in label_values (that is, by index).
While this works, using a for loop can take quite a lot of time, especially if my label vector is large. Can this be sped up or coded more elegantly?