I am having hard times wrapping my mind around new CLI and configuration.
In the official documentation, I couldn't really find anything about CSS and how to add it as an entry point and not import it directly into an component or main.js file.
I realized that some JS files are being chunked into separate file, from main.js and the rest gets compiled where supposed to - into the app.js.
I was wondering, how does it know in the background what should be stored as "vendor" for the JS, but when I try to import some "vendor" SASS files into main.js it does not and it merges all within a single app.css file.
Can anyone tell me, how does one create/modify the vue.config.js and tell the bundler that I also want app.scss to be an entry point and vendor.scss to be another entry point.
I am unsure what are best practices for such purpose, but I always did it this way with my own webpack config...
Partial example below:
entry: {
vendor: [
'./styles/vendor.scss',
'./scripts/vendor.js'
],
app: [
'./styles/app.scss',
'./scripts/app.js'
]
}
EDIT #1
I think I got the first one...
"How does it know what should be chunked in "vendor" files?
- Whatever gets imported from node_modules, it is being chunked.
What I did not figure out yet is... What if I am having my personal assets/styles/vendor directory where I @import those SASS files from NPM and do some modifications of variables or whatever.
Importing this file to main.js does not get chunked in this case... So there must be a way to tell bundler that I want everything within that directory or everything within vendor.scss file where everything is being imported, to be chunked out.
EDIT #2
I figured I can use WebPack's magical comments to import the main vendor SCSS file, such as:
import(/* webpackChunkName: "vendor" */ './assets/styles/vendor.scss')
I don't have a problem with this, but apparently the bundler does. It generates an empty vendor.[hash].js file as well.
EDIT #3
I did further research and learned that there's a command vue inspect which would output the webpack configuration.
So when making tweaks to vue.config.js, we can look a the output with this command if there's a bug or something is not working as expected.
Further more, I learned that if we specify entry directly in our vue.config.js file, that we will get an error that entry cannot be specified within our configuration file.
The following is forbidden to do so, but it's what I actually want to achieve...
// vue.config.js
module.exports = {
entry: {
app: [
'./src/main.js',
'./src/assets/styles/app.scss'
],
vendor: [
'./src/assets/styles/vendor.scss'
]
}
}
The actual proper way to do this will be an answer to my own question...