Can't run tests with Robolectric 4.0.1, 'packageDebugUnitTestForUnitTest' fails

Viewed 962

My robolectric tests aren't working after upgrading to Robolectric 4.0.1.

In my gradle configuration I am using testOptions.unitTests.includeAndroidResources = true and in gradle.properties android.enableUnitTestBinaryResources=true.

Here's a dummy test to use as en example:

@RunWith(RobolectricTestRunner::class)
internal class MyRobolectricTests
{
    @Test
    fun my_test()
    {
        val someItems = ApplicationProvider.getApplicationContext().resources.getStringArray(R.array.array_of_strings)

        assertEquals(10, someItems.size)
    }
}

I am experiencing 2 separate problems:

  1. If I run the test then I am getting the following message:

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

  • What went wrong: Execution failed for task ':packageDebugUnitTestForUnitTest'.

    Illegal character in opaque part at index 11: jar:file:C:\myproject\build\intermediates\apk_for_local_test\debugUnitTest\packageDebugUnitTestForUnitTest\apk-for-local-test.ap_

  1. If I remove the testOptions.unitTests.includeAndroidResources = true option from the gradle config file then I am getting the following error:

android.content.res.Resources$NotFoundException: Resource ID #0x7f030007

In the line val someItems = ApplicationProvider.getApplicationContext()...

Why did the tests work with version 3.6.1 but now they don't?

1 Answers

Remove android.enableUnitTestBinaryResources=true from gradle.properties. It helps in my case.

Please refer all the comments on this issue here

Related