Goal: Link Java to Swift
Problem: I get an UnsatisfiedLinkError when trying to load a JNI .dylib file that is linked with a Swift .dylib file when calling System#loadLibrary(String).
Expected Behavior: The dependency of the Java .dylib would be automatically loaded or the call to System.loadLibrary("SwiftCode") would load the dependency (the only solution I could come up with).
Note: I am combining this github tutorial and this Medium article to create my JNI .dylib file and this tutorial to create my Swift .dylib file.
Full stacktrace:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/hillmacbookpro/IdeaProjects/JavaToSwift/src/native/libSwiftHelloWorld.dylib: dlopen(/Users/hillmacbookpro/IdeaProjects/JavaToSwift/src/native/libSwiftHelloWorld.dylib, 1): Library not loaded: libSwiftCode.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/hillmacbookpro/IdeaProjects/JavaToSwift/src/native/libSwiftHelloWorld.dylib
Reason: image not found
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(ClassLoader.java:2408)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:2465)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:2662)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:2627)
at java.base/java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:829)
at java.base/java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1833)
at helloworld.SwiftHelloWorld.<clinit>(SwiftHelloWorld.java:7)
File Structure:
src
- helloworld
- SwiftHelloWorld.java
- native
- libSwiftHelloWorld.dylib
- libSwiftCode.dylib
MCVE:
SwiftHelloWorld.java:
package helloworld;
public class SwiftHelloWorld {
static {
System.loadLibrary("SwiftCode"); // loading SwiftHelloWorld's dependency first
System.loadLibrary("SwiftHelloWorld"); // exception thrown here, can't find dependency?
}
public static native void printHelloWorldImpl();
public static void main(final String[] args) {
printHelloWorldImpl();
}
}
libSwiftHelloWorld.dylib: Created using these two terminal commands:
export JAVA_HOME="$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 11)"; gcc -I"$JAVA_HOME/include" -I"$JAVA_HOME/include/darwin/" -o libSwiftHelloWorld.dylib -dynamiclib helloworld_SwiftHelloWorld.c libSwiftCode.dylib
and these files:
helloworld_SwiftHelloWorld.c:#include <jni.h> #include <stdio.h> #include "helloworld_SwiftHelloWorld.h" #include "helloworld_SwiftHelloWorld_swift.h" JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_helloworld_SwiftHelloWorld_printHelloWorldImpl (JNIEnv *env, jclass clazz) { int result = swiftHelloWorld(42); printf("%s%i%s", "Hello World from JNI! ", result, "\n"); }helloworld_SwiftHelloWorld.h: The auto-generated JNI header fromjavac -h native/ helloworld/SwiftHelloWorld.javahelloworld_SwiftHelloWorld_swift.h:int swiftHelloWorld(int);
libSwiftCode.dylib: Created using swiftc SwiftCode.swift -emit-library -o libSwiftCode.dylib and the SwiftCode.swift file:
import Foundation
// force the function to have a name callable by the c code
@_silgen_name("swiftHelloWorld")
public func swiftHelloWorld(number: Int) -> Int {
print("Hello world from Swift: \(number)")
return 69
}
Related Questions:
Java JNI linking multiple libraries, he/she gets an
UnsatifiedLinkErrorbut with the discriptionundefined symbol: ...(unanswered)Anything tagged with
JNIand containingUnsatifiedLinkError
Other Notes: I am setting the Java virtual machine's options to -Djava.library.path=src/native, the parent directory of both of the .dylib files. I am using macOS.
Edit: I have tried preceding the command to compile SwiftCode.swift with xcrun as seen in this article (under "Compile Swift code") but I still get the same error.