Sorry if this is something that was asked before, but I am not able to find the answer to this. How do I create a MySQL select statement to select all strings from the database whose first characters is either in lowercase or uppercase.
I'd normally use something like this to select 10 random words from English Word Database with length of more than 8 characters:
SELECT word FROM en_dictionary WHERE CHAR_LENGTH(word)>8 ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 10
Unfortunately, this also selects the words in Capital letters that I don't want in the results, as they are usually the terms such as names of cities, species etc.:
So, my question is: Is there a way to select only the words that start with the lowercase alphabet characters (or uppercase)?
I could do something like this and it'd work, but it'd be a very ugly statement:
AND word LIKE BINARY 'a%' AND word LIKE BINARY 'b%' AND word LIKE BINARY 'c%'...
