I am new to Kotlin and trying out to write some project using the language. I am using Java library and extending a class from the library in my project and I am seeing this error message.
'public' function exposes its 'public/*package*/' return type argument FooSettings
I understand the problem is but I am not sure how to fix it in Kotlin since I am still trying get familiar with Kotlin.
I can see that Kotlin is being smart and only trying to return of type that extends FooSettings. However the problem is FooSettings is package public only which means that I cannot access if in my Kotlin project.
I did some research about Kotlin generics and use of in or out but I wasn't able to fix the problem.
Is there any work around that I can do in my Kotlin project to fix the error I am seeing?
Code snippet
This is sample of Java library class: Note, I have no way to changing the implementation of the library. I must use this Library and extend it in Kotlin.
It seems odd to me that the java library is written such a way and expect it to be overridden but that is question for another day.
import java.util.Collections;
import java.util.List;
public abstract class ClassA {
public List<FooBuilder<?>> getBuilder(Foo foo) {
return Collections.emptyList();
}
}
public class Foo {
}
public abstract class FooBuilder<U extends FooBuilder.FooSettings> {
// implementation of Class
abstract static class FooSettings {
// implementation of Class
}
}
Normally Java classes would override the method like such:
import java.util.List;
public class MyJavaClassA extends ClassA {
@Override public List<FooBuilder<?>> getBuilder(final Foo foo) {
// implementation
}
}
But I am trying to write in Kotlin such that it looks like: Reminder that this Kotlin is depending on the Java library and does not have access to package public classes.
class MyKotlinClassA : ClassA() {
override fun getBuilder(foo: Foo): MutableList<FooBuilder<*>> {
// implementation
}
}
This causes error
'public' function exposes its 'public/*package*/' return type argument FooSettings