My website has the following base font:
body {
font:300 16px/1.5 Ubuntu,sans-serif;
...
}
The font is loaded via Google Fonts:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Ubuntu:300,300i,700,700i&subset=greek,greek-ext">
All is expected font-wise in most browsers. However, on Chrome on Linux, I'm seeing the base font displayed with what appears to be font weight 500 instead of 300. The screenshot shows what I'm talking about. The normal text is too heavy. The italic text is displayed at the correct weight (and created using unstyled <em> tags). It also shows that Chrome understands that it's supposed to be using 300 weight.
This issue doesn't appear in Chrome on Windows or MacOS--only Linux. In addition, I've seen it in an old version of Chrome (48.0.2564.116) as well as a current Chromium (70.0.3538.67). I have no issues with Firefox, Edge, or Opera on any OS I've tested. My Linux machine is running Ubuntu 16.04. In addition, Chrome renders the Ubuntu font correctly at all weights on fonts.google.com.
Any ideas what may be going on?
