I have a base class type and a subclass type, where the subclass includes a generic type. If I have the subclass stored in the form of the base class type but I would like to type cast it back to the subclass type, Swift won't seem to let me.
Below is an example of what I mean:
class Base {
}
class Next<T> : Base where T : UIView {
var view: T
init(view: T) {
self.view = view
}
}
let a: [Base] = [Next(view: UIImageView()), Next(view: UILabel())]
for item in a {
if let _ = item as? Next {
print("Hey!")
}
}
Why is "Hey!" never printed?
EDIT:
"Hey!" is printed if the cast reads:
if let _ item as? Next<UIImageView> ...
but only for the case of the UIImageView class.
and
"Hey!" is printed if one of the items in the array a is:
Next(view: UIView())
Ideally, I would like to not know what type the generic is when casting, but I realise this may not be possible.