I strongly recommend using this jmeter property:
jmeterengine.force.system.exit=true
documented here. These Chinese language web pages link link tipped me off.
You can add -Jjmeterengine.force.system.exit=true on the command line when launching JMeter, or add jmeterengine.force.system.exit=true to JMETER_HOME/bin/jmeter.properties.
How I Confirmed This Fix
With JMeter 5.1 and java version "1.8.0_231" on MS-Win10, we're using a customized version of this JMeter InfluxDB backend Listener.
After my 60 second test run from the command line (jmeter.bat -n -t plan.jtl), the command line hung after displaying this output (very similar to op):
Tidying up ... @ Wed Jan 29 14:41:04 CST 2020 (1580330464874)
... end of run
The JVM should have exited but did not.
The following non-daemon threads are still running (DestroyJavaVM is OK):
Thread[DestroyJavaVM,5,main], stackTrace:
Thread[pool-2-thread-3,5,main], stackTrace:sun.misc.Unsafe#park
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport#parkNanos
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject#awaitNanos
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue#take
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue#take
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor#getTask
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor#runWorker
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker#run
java.lang.Thread#run
Thread[pool-2-thread-4,5,main], stackTrace:sun.misc.Unsafe#park
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport#parkNanos
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject#awaitNanos
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue#take
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue#take
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor#getTask
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor#runWorker
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker#run
java.lang.Thread#run
Thread[pool-2-thread-1,5,main], stackTrace:sun.misc.Unsafe#park
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport#parkNanos
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject#awaitNanos
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue#take
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue#take
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor#getTask
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor#runWorker
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker#run
java.lang.Thread#run
After modifying my command line as follows, jmeter.bat cleanly exited instead of hanging and all the ugly stack trace went away too:
jmeter.bat -n -Jjmeterengine.force.system.exit=true -t plan.jtl
To confirm that the problem was caused by our customized JMeter InfluxDB backend Listener, I removed it from the .jmx and I also removed the jmeterengine.force.system.exit=true. No hang, no ugly stacktrace (I actually love stacktraces).
I have not taken the next step to discover whether the problem is with the official JMeter InfluxDB backend Listener or with our customized variant, which is not (and will never be) available publicly.
Should mention one gap in this story. I feel this test conclusively points to our customized backend listener (or jmeter's). However, its odd that none of the threads in the above thread dump seem to belong to the backend listener. So I applaud that JMeter did the right thing by dumping the stack trace -- few other apps go to the extent of auto-dumping when appropriate for troubleshooting. But in this case, perhaps that jmeter auto-dump code needs to be enhanced, because it did not point to the culprit backend listener code. Anyone over there at Apache listening in on this?
Good luck.