I currently have a utilities library built as .NET Framework 4.6.1 and referenced by various .NET Framework applications.
I now want to create a new .NET Core application and therefore I want to convert the utilities library to .NET Standard 2.0 so that it can be used by applications of both types.
If I simply open the source code for the library, change the target to .NET Standard 2.0 and rebuild it (assuming that it does only use APIs available in .NET Standard), can I just drop the new assembly in to replace the existing one and should the existing applications still work? Or would the applications need to be rebuilt against the new version?
And the more general related question is, what are the differences in the metadata produced for a .NET Standard DLL compared to a .NET Framework one, and how/if do they affect the assembly resolver?
(to pre-empt the comment "why not just try it and see", I want to know if this is a supported scenario, not just whether technically it might work for me)


