I am currently developing a piece of software where the I have class instamces that are generated from dictionaries. The way these dictionariea file are structured is as follows:
layer_dict = {
"layer_type": "Conv2D",
"name": "conv1",
"kernel_size": 3,
...
}
Then, the following code is ran
def create_layer(layer_dict):
LayerType = getattr(layers, layer_dict['layer_type']
del layer_dict['layer_type']
return LayerType(**layer_dict)
Now, I want to support the creation of new layer types (by subclassing the BaseLayer class). I've thought of a few ways to do this and thought I'd ask which way is best and why as I don't have much experience developing software (finishing an MSc in comp bio).
Method 1: Metaclasses
The first method I thought of was to have a metaclass that registers every subclass of BaseLayer in a dict and do a simple lookup of this dict instead of using getattr.
class MetaLayer(type)
layers = {}
def __init__(cls, name, bases, dct):
if name in MetaLayer.layers:
raise ValueError('Cannot have more than one layer with the same name')
MetaLayer.layers[name] = cls
Benefit: The metaclass can make sure that no two classes have the same name. The user doesn't need to think about anything but subclassing when creating new layers.
Downside: Metaclasses are difficult to understand and often frowned upon
Method 2: Traversing the __subclasses__ tree
The second method I thought of was to use the __subclassess__ function of BaseLayer to get a list of all subclasses, then create a dict with Layer.__name__ as keys and Layer as values. See example code below:
def get_subclasses(cls):
"""Returns all classes that inherit from `cls`
"""
subclasses = {
sub.__name__: sub for sub in cls.__subclasses__()
}
subsubclasses = (
get_subclasses(sub) for sub in subclasses.values()
)
subsubclasses = {
name: sub for subs in subsubclasses for name, sub in subs.items()
}
return {**subclasses, ** subsubclasses}
Benefit: Easy to explain how this works.
Downside: We might end up with two layers having the same name.
Method 3: Using a class decorator The final method is my favourite as it doesn't hide any implementation details in a metaclass, and still manages to prevent multiple classes with the same name.
Here the layers module has a global variable named layers and a decorator named register_layer, which simply adds the decorated classes to the layers dict. See code below.
layers = {}
def register_layer(cls):
if cls.__name__ in layers:
raise ValueError('Cannot have two layers with the same name')
layers[cls.__name__] = cls
return cls
Benefit: No metaclasses and no way of having two layers with the same name.
Downside: Requires a global variable, which is often frowned upon.
So, my question is, which method is preferable? And more importantly, why?