I wrote a serial port class that I developed and for simplicity I used blocking/synchronous/non-overlapped. I went through all MSDN documentations and it was strait forward for me.
I don't have any problem with Opening, Transmitting or Receiving Bytes from the port. All operations are synchronous and there is no-threading complexity.
function TSerialPort.Open: Boolean;
var
h: THandle;
port_timeouts: TCommTimeouts;
dcb: TDCB;
begin
Result := False;
if Assigned(FHandleStream) then
begin
// already open
Exit(True);
end;
h := CreateFile(PChar('\\?\' + FComPort),
GENERIC_WRITE or GENERIC_READ, 0, nil, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, 0);
// RaiseLastOSError();
if h <> INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE then
begin
{
REMARKS at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winbase/ns-winbase-_commtimeouts
If an application sets ReadIntervalTimeout and ReadTotalTimeoutMultiplier to MAXDWORD and
sets ReadTotalTimeoutConstant to a value greater than zero and less than MAXDWORD, one
of the following occurs when the ReadFile function is called:
* If there are any bytes in the input buffer, ReadFile returns immediately with the bytes in the buffer.
* If there are no bytes in the input buffer, ReadFile waits until a byte arrives and then returns immediately.
* If no bytes arrive within the time specified by ReadTotalTimeoutConstant, ReadFile times out.
}
FillChar(port_timeouts, Sizeof(port_timeouts), 0);
port_timeouts.ReadIntervalTimeout := MAXDWORD;
port_timeouts.ReadTotalTimeoutMultiplier := MAXDWORD;
port_timeouts.ReadTotalTimeoutConstant := 50; // in ms
port_timeouts.WriteTotalTimeoutConstant := 2000; // in ms
if SetCommTimeOuts(h, port_timeouts) then
begin
FillChar(dcb, Sizeof(dcb), 0);
dcb.DCBlength := sizeof(dcb);
if GetCommState(h, dcb) then
begin
dcb.BaudRate := FBaudRate; // baud rate
dcb.ByteSize := StrToIntDef(FFrameType.Chars[0], 8); // data size
dcb.StopBits := ONESTOPBIT; // 1 stop bit
dcb.Parity := NOPARITY;
case FFrameType.ToUpper.Chars[1] of
'E': dcb.Parity := EVENPARITY;
'O': dcb.Parity := ODDPARITY;
end;
dcb.Flags := dcb_Binary or dcb_Parity or dcb_ErrorChar or
(DTR_CONTROL_ENABLE shl 4) or (RTS_CONTROL_ENABLE shl 12);
dcb.ErrorChar := '?'; // parity error will be replaced with this char
if SetCommState(h, dcb) then
begin
FHandleStream := THandleStream.Create(h);
Result := True;
end;
end;
end;
if not Result then
begin
CloseHandle(h);
end;
end;
end;
function TSerialPort.Transmit(const s: TBytes): Boolean;
var
len: NativeInt;
begin
Result := False;
len := Length(s);
if Assigned(FHandleStream) and (len > 0) then
begin
// total timeout to transmit is 2sec!!
Result := (FHandleStream.Write(s, Length(s)) = len);
end;
end;
function TSerialPort.Receive(var r: Byte): Boolean;
begin
Result := False;
if Assigned(FHandleStream) then
begin
// read timeout is 50ms
Result := (FHandleStream.Read(r, 1) = 1);
end;
end;
My problem starts at closing the port. After all my communications, when I try to close the serial port, my Application totally hangs at CloseHandle() API. And that happens randomly. Which is meaningless to me since I use synchronous mode, there can not be any pending operations. When I request a close, It must simply close the handle.
I searched the problem on the google and stack-overflow. There are many people who faced the similar problems but most of them are related with .NET serial port driver and their asynchronous mode operations which I don't have.
And also some people forgot to set timeouts properly and they faced blocking issue at ReadFile and WriteFile API that is fully normal. But again this is not my problem, I've set CommTimeouts as it is indicated in MSDN remarks.
function TSerialPort.Close: Boolean;
var
h: THandle;
begin
Result := True;
if Assigned(FHandleStream) then
begin
h := FHandleStream.Handle;
FreeAndNil(FHandleStream);
if h <> INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE then
begin
//PurgeComm(h, PURGE_TXABORT or PURGE_RXABORT or PURGE_TXCLEAR or PURGE_RXCLEAR); // didn't help
//ClearCommError(h, PDWORD(nil)^, nil); // didn't help
//CancelIO(h); // didn't help
Result := CloseHandle(h); <------------ hangs here
end;
end;
end;
Some people on Microsoft forum, suggest calling CloseHandle() in different thread. I have tried that as well. But that time it hangs while trying to free AnonymousThread that I created. Even I left FreeOnTerminate:=true as default, it hangs and I get memory leakage report by Delphi.
Another bothering problem when it hangs, I have to close Delphi IDE fully and reopen. Otherwise I can't compile the code again since exe is still used.
function TSerialPort.Close: Boolean;
var
h: THandle;
t: TThread;
Event: TEvent;
begin
Result := True;
if Assigned(FHandleStream) then
begin
h := FHandleStream.Handle;
FreeAndNil(FHandleStream);
if h <> INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE then
begin
PurgeComm(h, PURGE_TXABORT or PURGE_RXABORT or PURGE_TXCLEAR or PURGE_RXCLEAR);
Event := TEvent.Create(nil, False, False, 'COM PORT CLOSE');
t := TThread.CreateAnonymousThread(
procedure()
begin
CloseHandle(h);
If Assigned(Event) then Event.SetEvent();
end);
t.FreeOnTerminate := False;
t.Start;
Event.WaitFor(1000);
FreeAndNil(t); // <---------- that time it hangs here, why??!!
FreeAndNil(Event);
end;
end;
end;
In my notebook I'm using USB to Serial Port converters from FTDI. Some people said that it is because of FTDI driver. But I'm using all microsoft drivers that is signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher. There is no third party driver in my system. But when I disconnect the USB adapter, CloseHandle API unfreeze itself. Some people reports that, even native Serial Ports that are build in their motherboards have same issue.
So far I couldn't solve the problem. Any help or workaround highly appreciated.
Thanks.