osxkeychain is not storing github credentials?

Viewed 5241

Background: I have 2FA set up in my Github account. I cloned a repo using https. I am trying to use git credential helper to store the github creds (username and Personal Access Token) so that I don't have to enter them on every git push/pull.

I followed the steps here https://help.github.com/articles/caching-your-github-password-in-git/ to store the github credentials in the Keychain Access app. However, when I do a git clone, I was asked my creds. After that when I searched the Keychain Access app for "github.com", there was no entry. So when I tried to do a git push in that repo, I was asked my github credentials again.

Why aren't my credentials being stored in the keychain app even after following the credential helper?

My OS is MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4.

1 Answers

I experienced this issue this week. Where I keep on inputting username & password every time I do git pull.

After checking to the net, there were couple of options. See here

I did not look into the details deeply. Unknowingly, I went to my Keychain Access and did these steps:

  1. If you click on the lock icon Keychain Access Interface

  2. I clicked on it, making it locked Locked keychain access

  3. I tried running git pull again and prompted with git-credential-osxkeychain asking for login password. git-credential-osxkeychain prompt

  4. And lastly, I successfully pulled updates

MB-0018:laravel joseph$ git pull
Already up to date.
MB-0018:laravel joseph$

That's all. Hope this applies to you.

Related