Quick start learning Python following industrial standards

Viewed 173

Aside from learning the Python language itself, I have to learn on the go during daily business how to solve real-life problems with Python and share solutions with other colleagues.

Therefore I want while starting my projects from scratch, bootstrap them already with an advanced level for good readability1 and unit testing and have a more or less convenient efficient environment (besides what is the matter of taste, error-prone and well-readable code is here in focus).

Here is what I have found so far - what else would you add?

  • Install not Python itself but the Anaconda distro
  • Organize project in a comprehensive well-explained structure:
  • If you are coming from an object-oriented language, consider Python object and classes
  • Control code quality:
  • Consider to add a Dockerfile will required dependencies to demo how your tests run through in a given operating system environment

There is also a useful info on what modules' __init__.py file could contain.

Answers welcome also pointing out what are Python specific but tool-neutral aspects to consider while integrating with a DevOps toolchain i.e. source control, continuous integration and binary package management.

1 I've noticed that the tag clean code and related are leading to opinionated discussions; so I have decided to follow where possible recommendations available from Google, PEP, and pylint.

0 Answers
Related