How to obtain the time server takes to process a post request with curl?

Viewed 181

I am running a post curl request where I post a string to my webservice. Following the man page for curl and this blog , I managed to get the following output from my curl request:

   time_namelookup:  0.005177
      time_connect:  0.013959
   time_appconnect:  0.000000
  time_pretransfer:  0.014062
     time_redirect:  0.000000
time_starttransfer:  1.017193
                   ----------
        time_total:  26.608273

I'm having trouble interpreting the results and have some questions:

  1. How much time did my web service actually take to process the request?

  2. What does the transfer time actually mean? What am I transferring? Is it the post payload (which is the string I'm posting?)

  3. There is a huge gap between the 'time_starttransfer' event and the 'time_total'. What exactly is happening between these steps?

The man page is incredibly mysterious and not helping at all. I have also looked at this stackoverflow answer and found it to be equally confusing. Any help here is appreciated.

0 Answers
Related