I am moving from Julia 0.7 to 1.0. It seems that Julia's rule for the scope of variables changed from 0.7 to 1.0. For example, I want to run a simple loop like this:
num = 0
for i = 1:5
if i == 3
num = num + 1
end
end
print(num)
In Julia 0.7 (and in most of other languages), we could expect num = 1 after the loop. However, it will incur UndefVarError: num not defined in Julia 1.0. I know that by using let I can do this
let
num = 0
for i = 1:5
if i == 3
num = num + 1
end
end
print(num)
end
It will print out 1. But I do want to get the num = 1 outside the loop and the let block. Some answers suggest putting all code in a let block, but it will incur other problems including UndefVarError while testing line-by-line. Is there any way instead of using let blocking? Thanks!