I have a spark data frame with the following format that needs to be exploded. I check other solutions such as this one. However, in my case, before and after can be arrays of different length.
root
|-- id: string (nullable = true)
|-- before: array (nullable = true)
| |-- element: struct (containsNull = true)
| | |-- start_time: string (nullable = true)
| | |-- end_time: string (nullable = true)
| | |-- area: string (nullable = true)
|-- after: array (nullable = true)
| |-- element: struct (containsNull = true)
| | |-- start_time: string (nullable = true)
| | |-- end_time: string (nullable = true)
| | |-- area: string (nullable = true)
For instance, if the data frame has just one row, before is a array of size 2 and after is an array of size 3, the exploded version should be have 5 rows with the following schema:
root
|-- id: string (nullable = true)
|-- type: string (nullable = true)
|-- start_time: integer (nullable = false)
|-- end_time: string (nullable = true)
|-- area: string (nullable = true)
where type is a new column which can be "before" or "after".
I can do thss in two separate explodes where I make type column in each explode and union then.
val dfSummary1 = df.withColumn("before_exp",
explode($"before")).withColumn("type",
lit("before")).withColumn(
"start_time", $"before_exp.start_time").withColumn(
"end_time", $"before_exp.end_time").withColumn(
"area", $"before_exp.area").drop("before_exp", "before")
val dfSummary2 = df.withColumn("after_exp",
explode($"after")).withColumn("type",
lit("after")).withColumn(
"start_time", $"after_exp.start_time").withColumn(
"end_time", $"after_exp.end_time").withColumn(
"area", $"after_exp.area").drop("after_exp", "after")
val dfResult = dfSumamry1.unionAll(dfSummary2)
But, I was wondering if there is a more elegant way to do this. Thanks.