How to update native built JavaFX Application

Viewed 1488

I am building a JavaFX application in Intellij that will be built and distributed with an .exe installer and will be ran as an exe Application. I have been trying to find a way to allow for remote updates, but I have only found resources that update a jar file by using another jar file hosted on a website. Is there a way to allow for remote updates to a exe JavaFX application? I have though about using update4J, but sadly I have no idea how to implement it, use it, or if it will even work with exe applications. I have tried to use FXLauncher, but I am not able to use JavaFX with maven as an error occurs whenever I try adding maven framework to the project.

1 Answers

I am the developer of update4j.

The framework used to be complex and hard to use, but the last release (1.2.2 at time of writing) significantly simplified things leaving only one pain point, namely, generating a configuration.

So for starters, launch the framework using it's own main method:

# on classpath
$ java -jar update4j-1.2.2.jar

# on modulepath
$ java -p update4j-1.2.2.jar -m org.update4j

And read the output.

Creating the configuration is done using a builder, I'm still documenting it but the class javadoc for Configuration is quite complete.

Related