Stack can't find -lncursesw

Viewed 255

When I try compiling my Haskell program with Stack, I get the following error:

Building executable 'fractal' for fractal-0.1.0.0..
[1 of 2] Compiling Main             ( app/Main.hs, .stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux-tinfo6/Cabal-2.2.0.1/build/fractal/fractal-tmp/Main.o )
 <command line>: can't load .so/.DLL for: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/8.2.0/../../../../lib/libtinfo.so (-lncursesw: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

 --  While building custom Setup.hs for package fractal-0.1.0.0 using:
  /home/lorxu/.stack/setup-exe-cache/x86_64-linux-tinfo6/Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.2.0.1_ghc-8.4.3 --builddir=.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux-tinfo6/Cabal-2.2.0.1 build lib:fractal exe:fractal --ghc-options " -ddump-hi -ddump-to-file -fdiagnostics-color=always"

When I compile with GHC directly, it works fine, and libncursesw.so is present in /usr/lib. I'm on Void Linux. Any ideas where Stack is looking?

1 Answers

This looks like an issue with the bindist Stack has chosen for Void Linux - it normally guesses right, but it can cause issues on some distros. The tinfo6 variant tries to load libtinfo.so, since some distributions provide ncurses6 through that shared object file. You can try configuring the variant manually - you'll probably want standard. Stack will install a new GHC version if you do that, but it will change what shared object it tries to load for ncurses.

EDIT:

This was actually caused by an issue with GHC - if the distro links between the various ncurses files with a linker file, instead of an actual link, GHC won't follow it properly and instead complain that the file doesn't exist. The solution is to replace the linker file with a link to the target.

Related