optimize hevc_toolbox encoding to look like x265 encoding in ffmeg

Viewed 782

I am encoding videos from h264 to h265 using ffmpeg. First I used the x265 software version for a 30 sec movie clip reducing the file size from 18Mb to 2Mb and got the following still-frame result in 45 sec enter image description here

Next I used the hevc_videotoolbox hardware accelerated version, first going from 18 to 1.6 Mb and the results were so poor I decided to up the bitrate to 1.5Mbit/s, thus getting a 5.7Mb file in 12 sec. However, the result is clearly inferior to the x265 version despite the almost 3x increase in filesize.

enter image description here

Any ideas if it is possible to improve the hevc_toolbox quality and still retain the speed advantage?

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -an -c:v libx265 -vtag hvc1 -y test_x265.mp4 

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -an -c:v hevc_videotoolbox -vtag hvc1 -y -b:v 1.5M test_vt.mp4

I am on a MB pro late 2017 version with kaby lake

1 Answers

hevc_videotoolbox is hardware accelerated and because of that it will never be as efficient as x265. If you have the time I would recommend you using x265.

Related