Why does javascript's implementation of reduce skip execution for the first iteration?
[1,2,3].reduce((acc, val) => {
console.log('acc',acc);
console.log('val',val)
return acc + val;
});
// acc 1
// val 2
// acc 3
// val 3
// 6
I notice that the first statement execution never runs (in this case, I would have expected there to be 6 console logs, 2 for each element). This was very unexpected behavior when I was trying to execute a function with a side effect within each iteration with reduce.
In other languages that I've used, every iteration of the list passed executes. Are there examples otherwise?
Why does this happen and why is the implementation of javascript's native Array reduce like this?
========================= EDIT 1/Solution ========================
To make sure it goes through the first iteration, give it an initial value (the 2nd argument here/ 0 in this case)
[1,2,3].reduce((acc, val) => {
console.log('acc',acc);
console.log('val',val)
return acc + val;
}, 0);