Android foreground service won't stop

Viewed 1723

I've finally set up my app (tracking live GPS) to track using a foreground service. However the issue I'm running into now, is the service never stops, even after I tell it to. I keep getting logs whenever I get a new location from the location client. I can't seem to find anything that explains this anywhere, so any help would be appreciated.

Service's first few relevant methods look like this...

@Override
public void onCreate() {
    NotificationManager notificationManager = (NotificationManager) getSystemService(Context.NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);
    String channelId = Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.O ? createNotificationChannel(notificationManager) : "";
    NotificationCompat.Builder notificationBuilder = new NotificationCompat.Builder(this, channelId);
    Notification notification = notificationBuilder.setOngoing(true)
            .setSmallIcon(R.mipmap.ic_launcher)
            .setPriority(PRIORITY_MIN)
            .setCategory(NotificationCompat.CATEGORY_SERVICE)
            .build();

    startForeground(ID_SERVICE, notification);
}

@RequiresApi(Build.VERSION_CODES.O)
private String createNotificationChannel(NotificationManager notificationManager){
    String channelId = "my_service_channelid";
    String channelName = "My Foreground Service";
    NotificationChannel channel = new NotificationChannel(channelId, channelName, NotificationManager.IMPORTANCE_HIGH);
    // omitted the LED color
    channel.setImportance(NotificationManager.IMPORTANCE_NONE);
    channel.setLockscreenVisibility(Notification.VISIBILITY_PRIVATE);
    notificationManager.createNotificationChannel(channel);
    return channelId;
}

@Override
public int onStartCommand(Intent intent, int flags, int startId) {
    super.onStartCommand(intent, flags, startId);
    if (intent.getAction().equals(Constants.STARTFOREGROUND_ACTION)) {
        Log.i(TAG, "Received Start Foreground Intent");
        mLocationClient = new GoogleApiClient.Builder(this)
                .addConnectionCallbacks(this)
                .addOnConnectionFailedListener(this)
                .addApi(LocationServices.API)
                .build();

        mLocationRequest.setInterval(LOCATION_INTERVAL);
        mLocationRequest.setFastestInterval(FASTEST_LOCATION_INTERVAL);

        mLocationRequest.setPriority(LocationRequest.PRIORITY_HIGH_ACCURACY);
        mLocationClient.connect();
    } else if (intent.getAction().equals(Constants.STOPFOREGROUND_ACTION)) {
        Log.i(TAG, "Received Stop Foreground Intent");
        mLocationClient.disconnect();
        mLocationClient.unregisterConnectionCallbacks(this);
        stopForeground(true);
        stopSelf();
    }
    //Make it stick to the notification panel so it is less prone to get cancelled by the Operating System.
    return START_STICKY;
}

mLocationRequest is a com.google.android.gms.location.LocationRequest

mLocationClient is a com.google.android.gms.common.api.GoogleApiClient

Activity starts it like so: ContextCompat.startForegroundService(this, buildLocationServiceIntent(true));

And attempts to stop it like this: ContextCompat.startForegroundService(this, buildLocationServiceIntent(false)); This line is in the onDestroy method on the activity if that matters.

The Log.i's you see appear in my app log exactly when you'd expect them to. But the logs from my onLocationChanged method keep coming indefinitely after 'stopping' the service. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, I'm just not seeing it.

Edit

Service code -> https://codeshare.io/5D7LvZ Activity code -> https://codeshare.io/5g4nO8

Edit v2

Here's my app.gradle

apply plugin: 'com.android.application'

android {
    compileSdkVersion 27
    defaultConfig {
        applicationId "[[appid]]"
        minSdkVersion 18
        targetSdkVersion 27
        versionCode 1
        versionName "1.0"
        testInstrumentationRunner "android.support.test.runner.AndroidJUnitRunner"
    }
    buildTypes {
        release {
            minifyEnabled false
            proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-rules.pro'
        }
    }
}

ext {
    androidSupportVersion = "27.1.1"
    playServicesVersion = "15.0.1"
}

dependencies {
    implementation fileTree(include: ['*.jar'], dir: 'libs')
    implementation "com.android.support:appcompat-v7:${androidSupportVersion}"
    implementation "com.android.support:design:${androidSupportVersion}"
    implementation 'com.android.support.constraint:constraint-layout:1.1.2'
    implementation 'com.android.support:support-v4:27.1.1'
    implementation 'com.android.support:recyclerview-v7:27.1.1'
    testImplementation 'junit:junit:4.12'
    androidTestImplementation 'com.android.support.test:runner:1.0.2'
    androidTestImplementation 'com.android.support.test.espresso:espresso-core:3.0.2'
    implementation('com.mikepenz:materialdrawer:6.0.7') {
        transitive = true
    }
    //required support lib modules
    implementation "com.android.support:appcompat-v7:${androidSupportVersion}"
    implementation "com.android.support:recyclerview-v7:${androidSupportVersion}"
    implementation "com.android.support:support-annotations:${androidSupportVersion}"
    implementation "com.android.support:design:${androidSupportVersion}"

    implementation "com.google.android.gms:play-services-maps:${playServicesVersion}"
    implementation "com.google.android.gms:play-services-location:${playServicesVersion}"

    implementation 'javax.annotation:jsr250-api:1.0'
    implementation 'com.google.dagger:dagger:2.0.1'
    annotationProcessor 'com.google.dagger:dagger-compiler:2.0.1'

    implementation "com.mikepenz:iconics-core:3.0.4@aar"
    implementation "com.mikepenz:iconics-views:3.0.4@aar"
    implementation 'com.mikepenz:google-material-typeface:3.0.1.2.original@aar'
    implementation 'com.mikepenz:material-design-iconic-typeface:2.2.0.4@aar'
    implementation 'com.mikepenz:fontawesome-typeface:5.0.13.0@aar'
    implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-maps:15.0.1'
    implementation 'com.google.code.gson:gson:2.8.5'
}
1 Answers

Stopping a service explicitly wouldn't terminate the service as long as there are bound components, and te unbinding all components process wouldn't terminate it until it’s explicitly stopped (if it was ever started). Also note that no matter how many times you call te metod startService(), a single call to stopService() or stopSelf() will stop it.I think this concept will help you to solve your issue.

Edit: As I do not have enough reputation I am unable to comment.Therefor I am editing my answer.

If you do allow your service to be started and bound, then when the service has been started, the system does not destroy the service when all clients unbind. Instead, you must explicitly stop the service by calling stopSelf() or stopService().Then the service will stop.

This link may help you,

https://developer.android.com/guide/components/bound-services

Related